Since there was such a great response to the Everyday Yoga idea, I thought it would be good to hash out some of the details.
This is the draft version of what I’m thinking will happen. Because this is the draft version, you should feel free to offer any suggestions, improvements, or alternatives you have — especially if they will meaningfully affect your ability or desire to contribute.
- On pre-determined days of the month — let’s say, the 15th and the 30th, shall we? — I’ll post a call for pics of a specific yoga posture. I’ll also link to some tutorials, hopefully one text and one video, for folks who aren’t super familiar with it. (Of course, if a particular pose just sends up red flags when you think about trying it yourself, you should feel free to modify or opt out as you see fit.)
- Sometime over the course of the next 2 weeks, you submit a pic to me (email@example.com) of you in the pose. At the time you send it, please let me know: 1) whether I need to alter the image for your privacy (e.g., pixeling or cropping out the face); 2) how you would like to be credited (full name, first name, pseudonym, etc.).
- I will compile the pics and post the results on the following 16th or 31st (or 1st), respectively. That is, the one 15 days from the initial request — giving folks 14 days to submit and me 1 full day to finalize the post.
- When I post, I will include both copyright and commenting policy notes. That is, all pictures remain the property of the people who submitted them and may not be reposted without explicit permission from the owner of the pic. As for commenting, I’m going to suggest that this is not the forum to critique anyone else’s pose unless they specifically request help. That is, someone should feel free to comment with something like, “I’m the third picture in, and my left big toe always feels weird when I do this. Any suggestions?” to get feedback. But unless there is such a comment, this is probably not the place to go, “Um, shouldn’t that person’s knee be bent more/less/differently/etc.?” That also said, I think it would be fine to say, “I look like X photo in this pose, and I’m having Y unpleasant sensation. Suggestions?”
- If folks want to submit after the cutoff date — for example, if people find the project at a later date — I will still happily take them and edit them in, but it will be on a “do this as I have time” basis and not an “I will make this a high blogging priority” basis.
- Starting as soon as I finish this post (so, now) there is an “everyday yoga” tag on the side. This is where all such posts will be collected.
Main questions I have:
- Is 2 weeks a good amount of time between posts? I wanted something long enough to let people submit without feeling rushed but short enough that the project felt continuous.
- Are there ways people would prefer to submit other than email? I’m open to that; I just couldn’t think of any.
- How does the commenting policy sound? I’m trying to create some kind of balance for people to be able to use some of the photos for springboards for asking their own questions. However, I also want to make sure that people can submit photos of their bodies without stressing about judgment, however well-intentioned, from it. I know there’s a balance here, and I know it’s probably never going to be perfect — but I’d like to make sure it’s as workable as one can reasonably expect it to be.
Additionally, if you have any specific poses that you’d like to see included, please comment and mention them here so that I have a written record to come back to.
Consider this “open commenting” on the project details. Unless Big Changes happen, I will probably post the first call for submissions on June 15. (Yes, I do want to do it sooner. But a regular pattern will help me keep with it over the long term. So. Patience.)